Latest News

Scaffolder Loses Limbs After Electric Shock

17th January 2017

A scaffolder from Somerset has had a leg and a hand amputated and lost all of his toes on the second leg, after he suffered an electric shock while carrying out scaffolding work.

Jamie Mines, 33, who also plays semi-professional football and  is the father of baby twin girls, was placed in an induced coma following the accident as Doctors worked to save his life.

Speaking after the incident, a family friend said, “It came as a shock to everyone that it had happened. Doctors didn’t know how severe his injuries were but then had to amputate his leg and arm to save his life. The doctor said if he wasn’t so fit, he probably would have died.”

Friends of Jamie have set up a Go Fund Me page to help raise money for the family following Jamie’s accident and to date it has raised a staggering £66k. On the page, friends described Jamie as an “honest and hard-working man” who is the “provider of a beautiful family” and “always had time for other people”.

The accident serves to warn of the horrific consequences of contacting electricity, which is a relatively common hazard for those working height and particularly those using lengthy components. The high voltages involved mean that contact almost always causes significant injury and very often, death. HV electricity can also form an arc and in these situations the same catastrophic consequences can arise without actually making consequences with the electricity source.

There are several sources of guidance on work adjacent to electricity, but two of the most notable are those published by the HSE and come in the form of GS6 – ‘Avoiding Danger from Overhead Power Lines’ and, for those working closer to the ground, HSG 47 ‘Avoiding Danger from Underground Services’. (Click the links for FREE downloads.)

Simian clients with queries or working adjacent to sources of electricity are free to contact their Account Manager for advice.