Meet Natalie Hadfield
27th September 2019
- Could you please tell us about your past experience in the scaffolding industry?
I have been delivering apprenticeships/English and maths for 15 years, doing so within the construction industry since 2014. Teaching apprentice joiners/brickies, English and maths, before overseeing the quality of teaching across the trades. I can now butter a brick, know the difference between a dove tail and mortise and tenon joint, I can hang a door, and fit skirting and soon I will declare myself a fully-fledged scaffolder.
- Can you describe a typical day at Simian Risk?
I have yet to have one, everyday has been different, from busy classrooms, 1-1 support, developing resources, observing instructors, to office banter – typically – it’s always a good day.
- Is there one aspect of your work in particular that you most enjoy?
I most enjoy learner achievement. Those I teach often say, they have never been able to do maths, they have never achieved a qualification in maths, they never will as they cannot do it…. But they do and they achieve it and that look of shock and pride in themselves, makes even the most stressful days worthwhile.
- What advice would you give those considering a career in the scaffolding industry?
It’s hard work, there will be days when you feel enough is enough, but stick with it, see it through and you will be surprised by the opportunities that follow.
- In your opinion, what is the most important piece of guidance you give trainee scaffolders?
Stay safe, always listen, always learn, ask questions, seek support and give it your best.
- Before working at Simian, what was the most unusual or interesting job you’ve ever had?
I started out my career as a dental nurse and oral health educator, with patients such as; Robert Carlisle, Eric Cantona, Ryan Giggs, Andy Cole, Sean Ryder and more. Not many mouths I haven’t been in. I completed my apprenticeship, loved it, that’s how I got into teaching and is why I am where I am today.
- Aside from scaffolding, what would be your dream job?
My dream job would be TL Quality manager – I do love teaching, I love learning and I aspire to give all apprentices I work with the best educational experience and opportunity to achieve, succeed and progress in their careers.
- If you could visit anywhere in the world, where would it be?
I am greedy and the world is a beautiful place, I want to see as much of it as I can.
- Favourite film?
Wedding singer – Adam Sandler – hilarious and great music. Or Bridget Jones (all of them- in one hit)
- Favourite food?
Neville Pasta (Puccini’s) best Italian ever – even Sly Stallone and Robert DeNiro eat there when passing through Swinton FACT!!
- Have you ever had your 15 minutes of fame?
I was seen on the Jeremy Kyle show (in the audience) but amongst family and friends I am famous for my celebrity stalking skills – especially where Mr Barlow is concerned – That’s Gary not Ken.