Latest News

Apprenticeship Levy Boost for Employers

11th April 2023

ESFA has announced that with effect from 03 April 2023, employers who do not pay the apprenticeship levy will now be able to recruit as many apprentices as their business needs. Prior to this, non-levy payers were limited to a maximum of 10 new apprenticeship starts p/a.

The change comes as a result of recognition of the role that smaller employers play in creating apprenticeship opportunities, particularly for younger people and those in disadvantaged areas. Removing the reservations cap will give smaller employers funding certainty and support their recruitment plans, ensuring they can access the apprenticeships they need to meet their ambitions, fill their skills gaps, and grow their business.

More information and guidance on reserving funds can be found here.

As a non-levy employer, the government will fund 95% of the cost of the apprenticeship, and the employer will need to fund the remaining 5%.

SIMIAN currently offer apprenticeships in the following trades:

  • Scaffolder L2
  • Roofer L2 – Waterproof Membranes
  • Roofer L2 – Roof Slating & Tiling
  • Digital Engineering Technician L3

Speaking of the change, Support Services Manager at Simian, Jess Hollowell, herself a former apprentice, said:

“At a time when we need to get as many new entrants as possible into the sector to help fill the skills gap – the removal of the cap on new starts is great news for the industry.

Employing apprentices has served SIMIAN well in the past, it has allowed us to bring fresh new talent to the business that is eager to learn and develop.”

Employers recruiting for those disciplines can look to SIMIAN to identify and recruit candidates. For more information, please contact us on 0345 6022418 or via